light-and-air%202.jpg

Light and Air, 2019, 강호연, 아웃사이트 설치전경

흙과 물과 빛과 공기 그리고

_김상진

강호연은 2017년부터 Project ‘Encyclopedia’ 진행해 왔다. 백과사전이라는 근대성의 전형을 동시대성 속에서 재현하려는 야심 프로젝트의 목적은 계몽주의적 분류 서사를 첨단으로 혹은 보다 합리적으로 확장하거나 갱신하는 것에 있지 않다. 사실 그가 꾀하는 것은 백과사전적 서사가 더욱 정교해지고 거대해져 갈수록(서구의 지식체계가 근대 이후 관성적으로 가속해온 확장의 의미에서) 드러나는 그것의 극장성을 드러내는 일이다. 이를 위해 심각한 물리 천문학의 세계들은 그의 프로젝트 속에서 일상적으로 대체 가능한 그리고 심각하지 않은 사물들(nothing) 세계들로 하나씩 대체 되어진다.

의도적으로 구성된 허름하고 우스꽝스러워 보이는 그의 일상적 조합들은 관객들에게 통속화된 관념적 기호들(이를테면 파라다이스적 기표들과 같은 - 오로라, 무지개, , 파란 하늘, 모닥불, 태양계 ) 대한 기발한 유사체험을 선사함으로써 분자와 원자로부터 시작해 철저히 근엄하게 구축되어온 과잉의 현실을 그리고 현실에 대한 우리의 굳은 믿음을 되려 키치의 언저리로 던져버린다. 그리고 절대적 서사의 대체 가능성에 관한 이러한 연속적 시도들은 끊임없이 자신을 둘러싼 세계에 대한 지속적 이해를 갈구하는 인간 일반의 서사 ¹ 대지 위에 암묵적으로 강요되어온 일원성을 묘한 여운과 함께 돌려세운다.

흥미로운 것은 과정에서 인식주체의 시점이 외부의 집단적 체계가 아닌 외부적 조건에 선행하는 내부적 인간, 보편적 자아에게로 다시 회귀한다는 점이다. 아마도 데카르트의 위대한 시도² 기억해 본다면 이러한 작가의 시도는 자연스러운 것일지도 모른다. (다만 데카르트는생각한다존재한다라는 개념을 우리의 천부인권 마냥 너무나도 당연하게 생각했기에 언어적 구조물 자체가 외부로부터의 유입이라는 점은 미처 상상하지 못했다. 그리고 여기서 작가의보편적 인간또한 그러한 맹점에서 자유롭지는 못하다)³ 결국 시간 동안 인간이 이해했던 세계는 없이 존재하고 사라졌지만 (중세인들의 네모나고 평평한 지구에서부터 언어가 거의 존재하지 않았던 어느 오래된 원시인들의 그리고 광인들의 그곳까지) 것들이 각각에게 주어진 세계를 이해하려고 노력한 결과였다는 공통적 인과구조를 제외하고 나면 결국 모든 이질적 세계는 각기 다른 차원에 존재하는 부유하는 이미지들이거나 아직 동시 접속자들이 매달려 있는(혹은 있었던) 게임 서버일 뿐이다. (우리는 워쇼스키 자매의 매트릭스 시스템을 통해 이미 오래전 구조를 보았다) 그러므로 이러한 시점의 이동은 우리의 웅장한 절대적 세계(현실)조차도 사실은너무 많아 세는 의미조차 없을 듯한 무한 집합적 세계 부분에 지나지 않는다는 점을 역으로 확인시킨다.

전시는 그의 프로젝트의 번외편으로서 태양계 가장 언저리 소행성 지대인 Kuiper belt 소재로 한다. 이야기는 어느 그가 작업실에서 어떤 다큐멘터리 시리즈를 시청하다 듣게 생명이 존재하기 위한 4가지 조건 (, , , 공기)에서 출발한다. 그것이 잊혀 즈음 이런저런 이유로 지독하게 고된 하루를 보내고 그가 집으로 돌아와 샤워기의 따듯한 물줄기에 몸을 맡기던 어느 새벽, 작가는 그의 육신이 있던 땅과 물과 빛과 공기를 절대적인 어떤 것으로 느낄 수밖에 없었다고 말했다. 아마도 상황은 다르겠지만 우리도 어쩌면 그런 장면을 기억 어딘가에 조금씩 가지고 있을지도 모르겠다. 그것이 구원이었든 혹은 반대의 일이었든.

사실 그에게 일어난 일들은 일반의 서사에서 생명의 탄생을 위한 절대조건(, , , 바람) 얼핏 유사하게 느껴질 있지만, 엄밀히 과학적 조건은 되지 못한다. (당연히 그는 이미 살아있으므로) 그러나 샤워실에서 그가 느꼈던 것은 이미 존재해 버린 생명으로서의 인간이 삶에서 번인가 스스로의 존재성을 확인하게 되는, 그러니까 마치 희박한 산소를 통해서만 그것의 존재를 돌이키는, 때로는 극적이지 않더라도 다양하고 사소한 루틴의 지나친 연속이나 누적이 스스로에게 필요한 것들을 외부로 결정화(crystalization)시키는, 그러한 중대한 결핍의 순간이었을 것이다. 이러한 결핍은 물리 화학적 서사와는 만나지 않는 다른 방식의 생명을 잉태할 있다. 탄생은 당신이 수학적, 사회적, 언어적 현존 이전에 존재하는 낯선 당신을 마주하는 곳에서 이루어지고 사라지는 어떤 것이다. (아감벤은 이러한 낯선 초월적 경험과 언어 사이의 장소를인간의 유아기 표상하였다) 그리고 작가는 이러한 경험의 기억들을 전시장의 소행성들로 전이시킨다.

어쩌면 흙이나 같은 것은 없어도 생명은 존재할 있는지도 모른다. 올드보이에서 보았듯이 사람은 이십 년쯤 흙을 밟지 않아도 죽지 않는다. 게다가 요즘의 우리는 어떻게든 맨발에 흙을 묻히지 않으려 양말과 신발을 싸매고 있다. 고층 아파트들을 보라. 사람들은 합판이든 시멘트나 샌드위치 판넬이든, 위에 장판을 두르고 강마루와 데코타일을, 그리고 여유 있는 자들은 비단 벽지와 원목 마루를. 에폭시같은 플라스틱 바닥도 흔히 열광의 소재가 된다. 그러나 그중 누구도 자신이 디딘 땅이 허구이기를 원하는 이는 없다. (어떤 바닥이라도 그곳이 디딘 자의 현실이(일상이) 되지 못한다면 혼돈으로 추락해 버릴 것이므로) 그리고 과학자들은 빛이 없는 깊고 깊은 동굴 속은 어떤 낯선 박테리아들이 가득하다고 말한다. 그러면 우리는 그저 그것들에 고개를 끄덕거리며 일상을 살아갈 뿐이다. 그러니 100년쯤 뒤에는 어떤 것들이 생명의 조건이 되어 있을지. 그때는 분자와 원자는 남아 있을지. 사람들은 여전히 바닥을 딛고 온전히 있을 있을지. 세계에 영원히 갇혀 사는 우리는 세계를 알지 못한다. 그래서 비통한 사실은 언제나 우리가 끊임없이 탈주를 시도하게 만드는 근원적 알리바이가 된다.

“… 몸의 뒤는 평평하지 않다. 엉덩이는 구부정하게 튀어나왔고 등과 어깨는 앞으로 굽어있다. 게다가 스마트폰 헤비유저인지라, 목은 거북목이 되어버린 오래다. 나는 꼿꼿하고 뜨거운 바닥을 좋아한다. 등에 일말의 짤이 없기 때문이다. 그는 자신의 평평함에 나의 굴곡진 몸을 맞추길 바란다. 부드럽고 폭신한 소파와 침대와는 다르다. 그들은 몸의 응석을 모두 받아준다. 그래서 몸은 버릇이 없어진다. 그래서 일부러 가끔 딱딱한 바닥에 누워 허리를 비명 지르게 한다. 하지만 이내 뜨거운 온기로 등의 AT 필드를 녹여 등인지 방바닥인지하는 경계점을 지워버린다. 마치 바닥은 츤데레같다. 한참을 누워있다 보면 구부정한 허리가 바닥과 같이 펴진다. 모르겠다 일단 기분은 확실히 펴졌다. 키도 컸으면 좋겠다. 바닥은 대단한 밀당의 고수다. 겨울밤 늦은 귀가, 어두운 집안 가장 먼저 반겨주는 것은 방바닥의 온기이다. 이번 난방비가 나올 듯하다. 걱정이다…”.

-강호연 작가 노트 -

¹ 작가 노트 발췌

² '나는 생각한다, 고로 존재한다'

³ 홉스는 데카르트의 논리를 '나는 산책한다. 고로 나는 산책이다'라고 비아냥거렸다고 한다.

⁴ “… 인간의 유아기라는 경험은 인간적인 것과 언어적인 사이의 경계 바로 그것이다. 경험이란 인간이 항상 말하는 자인 것은 아니라는 사실, 다시 말해 그가 한때는 어린아이였고 언제든 어린 아이처럼 있다는 사실에서 성립하는 것이다… “ G.아감벤, 유아기와 역사 , 새물결, 2010.

About Ground, Water, Light and Air

Text by Sangjin Kim

Hoyeon Kang has been working on the project Encyclopedia since 2017. The aim of this project, an ambitious attempt to represent the canon of the modernity in the contemporary context, is not to update that categorical narrative of the Enlightenment into a more rational or advanced one. In fact, his intention lies in the exposure of the theatricality of this encyclopedic narrative, which is becoming more obvious as it gets more delicate and massive (in a sense of the inertial expansion of the western knowledge system since the modernity). For this purpose, this serious world of physics and astronomy is being replaced by the world of not-so-serious daily objects in his project.

By providing a brilliant pseudo-experience of the popularized ideational signs (such as signifiers of paradise - aurora, rainbow, star, blue sky, bonfire, the solar system, etc.), Kang’s mundane compounds that are intentionally made up to look shabby and ridiculous ditch the hyperreality which has been seriously constructed starting from atoms and molecules, as well as our solid beliefs in that reality, into the fringe of kitsch. And the serial attempts of Kang to seek the replaceability of that absolute narrative reworks the implicitly forced homogeneity based on ‘the narrative of the universal human who craves for the continuous understanding of the world surrounding oneself’ ¹ with a peculiar lingering.

What is interesting in this process is that the viewpoint of the perceiving subject returns from the external collective system to the intrinsic human being that precedes the external conditions, in other words, the universal self. Kang’s such endeavor seems natural when the great attempt of Descartes ² is reminded. (However, Descartes who took the idea of ‘thinking’ and ‘being’ granted, as if natural rights, did not imagine that the linguistic structure itself could have been extraneous. And here, Kang’s idea of ‘the universal self’ cannot be free from this blind spot as well) ³. From the medieval men’s flat and square earth to the primitive men and the madmen’s world of (almost) no language, numerous worlds interpreted by mankind have had existed and then ceased to be after all; nonetheless, these heterogeneous worlds (heterogeneous except for the common causal structure that all those worlds are the result of each and every human’s pursuit of understanding the world as it is given) are nothing but floating images on their own dimensions or game servers on which simultaneous log-ins are still hanging (or were once hanging). (We have witnessed this structure within the system of The Matrix presented by the Wachowski sisters.) Therefore, this shift of viewpoint reversely confirms that this magnificent absolute world (reality) of ours is, in fact, a mere part of ‘the infinite set of the innumerable worlds’.

The exhibition, as a sequel to his project, takes the Kuiper belt, an asteroid belt in the outer Solar System, as its subject. The story begins from a documentary film the artist watched in his workshop, which mentioned the four conditions for life to exist (ground, water, light, and air). And after a while when he almost had forgotten about it, and when he had his body run by a warm stream of shower after a severe day for this and that reason, Kang felt the ground on which his body stood, the water, the light, and the air around him so absolute. Perhaps we all have a bit of that moment somewhere in our memories, although in different circumstances. Whether as salvation or the opposite.

In fact, what he had experienced might feel similar to that absolute condition for birth of life (earth, water, light, and wind), but not in the precise scientific term (as he is already alive). However what he felt in the shower could be a significant moment of deficiency: a deficiency in which an already existing human being reconfirms its own existence; or calling of oxygen to mind only in its inadequacy; and sometimes an excessive succession of trivial routines and its accumulation externally crystalizing what is essential to one. These deficiencies can conceive life in a way that does not come across with the physical and chemical narratives. This birth is what comes and goes when you face the uncanny-you, preceding the mathematical, social, and linguistic existence. (Agamben referred to this space in between the unusual transcendental experience and the place of language as ‘human infancy’ .) And the artist metastasizes this memory of his experience to the asteroids in the exhibition space.

Perhaps life can exist without soil, light, etc.. Like we have seen in the movie Oldboy, a man won’t die for not stepping on soil for ten or twenty years. Furthermore, we obsessively cover our feet with socks and shoes so we won’t get our feet soiled. Look at all the high-rise apartment buildings. Those plywoods, cement, sandwich panels, and veneers; laminated floors and deco-tiles over them. Silk wallpapers and solid wood floors for the riches. Floors covered with plastic, such as epoxy, are also pursued enthusiastically. But none of us want the ground on which we are grounded to be fictional. (For we will fall into chaos if any of those floors cannot be the realities for the ones who are stepping on them.) Scientists say that deep, dark caves are full of unknown bacteria. Then we just nod at those statements and keep on living. So, what would become the essential condition for life in a hundred years. Would atoms and molecules still remain. We, who are forever stuck in this world would never know. And therefore, this sorrowful fact always becomes the fundamental alibi that incessantly incites our attempt to flee.

“…the back of my body is not flat. My bottom is bulged, and the back and the shoulder are slouchy. And as a heavy smartphone-user, I have long suffered from turtle neck syndrome. I like this sturdy and hot floor. Because it is very harsh to my back. It wants me to fit my curvy body on its flatness. It is not like a soft sofa or bed. They let my body coddled. So my body gets spoiled. For this reason, I sometimes deliberately lie on stiff floors and let my back scream in pain. Yet, soon the boiling heat melts the AT field of my back and deletes the boundary between the floor and my back. As if it has an attitude of ‘tsundere’. After a while, my slouched back flattens, just like the floor. Whatever, my feelings are stretched anyway. Wish I get taller for this. Floor is a master player. Returning home late at winter night, the first thing to greet me in the dark house is the warmth of the floor. Getting worried about the heating bills this month…”

-from the artist's note-

Translated by Jinho Lim

¹ from the artist's note

² 'I think; therefore I am.'

³ Hobbs satirized Descartes' logic as such: 'I am walking, therefore I am a Walk.'

⁴ “In terms of human infancy, experience is the simple difference between the human and the linguistic. The individual as not already speaking, as having been and still being an infant - this experience.” G. Agamben, Infancy and History. Verso. 1993.